Just got here

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Bonulino, Nov 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

I just got here and am ready to start experiencing the world of Britannia. I have been playing through the Ultima single player series of games and love the idea of an on-line continuation of it. I am also looking for a replacement for the MMO I had been playing for 10+ years, which now seems to be dominated by power gamers and is no longer fun for me. I hope to meet other players who have a plying stye closer to my own.

2. Morkin

Morkin Bug Hunter

Welcome Bonulino. May we will see us in game.

that_shawn_guy and FrostII like this.
  3. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

greetings and welcome to SotA :) there are many posts on these forums to help you along the way and anything you cant find, just post a message on these forums and you will get the help you need. here are a couple of posts to help you get going:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/community-resources.161448/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/rinaldis-list-of-useful-links.75512/

and then also visit the SotA Wiki.

i'm Goriah Kuulas and Tirrag Dragonbane in game. i love to help out new folks (as do many here) so please friend me in-game and reach out with questions. im usually on nightly starting around 5pm - 6pm CST and on weekends starting around 8am CST.

im sure you will find players that fit your style :) speaking of... what is your style? could spark some good advice from other players.

that_shawn_guy and FrostII like this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

we do have some power gamers, but we also have people that enjoy taking it slow and following the story and trying different builds to find what they like most, not what's most effective. there's room for both.

that_shawn_guy, FrostII and Tirrag like this.
  5. Avatars Radio

glad tidings & welcome!

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  6. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

I spent a good portion of yesterday playing the game and have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to increase the font size in the chat box? I am running the game at my 4K monitor max resolution and it makes the chat box text tiny.
    2. Is there a way to map the A,W,S,D keys to the arrow keys?

Some of my impressions of the game so far are:

1. The game play is pretty exciting, particularly the battles. I do miss having the companions available in the old Ultima games. However, if I decide to stay, I will join a guild and solve that problem.
    2. I really enjoyed the Outskirts of Solace Bridge area. Many NPC's who didn't all look the same.
    3. It took me a while to get the hang of things. I did read the instructional material but did not study it in detail, so that might have been my fault.
    4, It wasn't until I found a particularly talkative NPC in Soltown that I finally found out that I was he Avatar, what the trouble ailing the world was and that I was expected to do something about it.
    5. I did see other player characters, but they seemed as absorbed as myself in figuring things out and we had no conversations. The only conversation I had with another PC was someone in Soltown, who seemed to implicate that I was involved in a murder. Weird.

Anyway, I need to process what I saw and learned and see if I want to become a subscriber. I will also attempt to get a screenshot of my character's face to use as an avatar on the forum page. Hoping to see some of you in game.

7. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

8. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

Besides the cotos and items from the sub you also get extra deck slots and obsidian potions are more powerful.
    vj

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Bonulino, is your name Esperanto for "good girl"?

10. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

Yes, it is. I use that name for a lot of the avatars I have had in many different games.

Barugon likes this.
  11. Segalleon2

Segalleon2 Avatar

On the chat tab, there is a gear icon. Click on it. Right below the channel name is the font size. You can set the font size independently on each channel tab.

1. Click on the 3 gears icon in the top right-hand corner.
    2. Click on CONTROLS over to the left.
    3. Scroll down to KEYBINDINGS
    4. You have two columns that represent the normal controls and the alternate controls.
    5. Change either one, as you see fit.

SOTA can be a complex game with many systems. Most players are working toward some sort of goal and are focused. Don't take it personally. Universe chat is where all the talking occurs.

12. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

Thank you all for your very helpful information. I am delighted with my reception here. :)

13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Hail and well met! If you decide to start animal Taming, look up my guide on these forums. Link is in my sig below

14. i3loodyMoon

i3loodyMoon Avatar

Welcome to the community! This place is great an the game just sucks you in once you start to grasp how much is going on at once an the depths one can go into exploration an character customization.

Tvink27 likes this.
  15. Tvink27

Tvink27 Avatar

Whooop whooop new people top find an meet!

Sentinel2 and i3loodyMoon like this.