Is there a pet manual?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by ConjurerDragon, Oct 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I hadn´t planned on adding taming as a skill or having a pet and suddenly there was a miniature air elemental in my reward stuff to care for.

Now I´m a bit clueless what to do.
    Sure - I found that I can right-click it to examine or rename it (my air elemental for the time being is called Flatulentia). But what is the difference between following *close* or *near*? When telling the thing to "Teleport" - where exactly does it go? Does an Air Elemental eat or is that only for living pets or tamed animals?
    "Dismissing" - is it gone with the wind then or does it return into my inventory? Can it be taught to float up stairs instead of staying down and waiting for me?
    Do I need the collar and whistle stuff for taming for a pet elemental, too? What happens to the thing when I use a teleport or camouflage myself?

Next to the pets name on the screen and it´s health bar are two letters, a yellow N and a darker D. What do those mean? "Near Death" for the only 2 hp left which is the only health of the mini-elemental?

In the last battle vs. 2 brown bears who charged me while I was harvesting wood the elemental was killed - now it just stands there and a red count-down is running town... 100 left...
    When I can´t send it to an Ankh and can´t heal a corpse what is there left to do?

Is there a "Pet manual" beyond just a list of keys in the published player instructions?
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub#h.oh49ox8e4q4e

Now, that I think of it
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...e-day-whats-yours.43823/page-231#post-1349080

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    Time Lord likes this.
  2. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

The mini elemental you received is a deco pet. It is not designed for fighting, it can be dragged onto a lot as deco (and it is supposed to stay there but deco pets currently have some issues lol) or it can be summoned to follow you around, but it won't actually help you fight (or won't be any good at it with his 2 hp, depending how they were created I guess they may try to fight, I haven't played with one yet). When it dies you should be able to just summon it again- the red countdown timer is meant for tamed pets since those you only have a limited time to rez (using taming tree skill) or they will be removed from the necklace you tamed them into and you will need to tame a new one.

If you wanted to have an air elemental that would help you fight, and have more than 2hp then you need to unlock the summon air elemental skill in the air tree. Most magic trees have an elemental summon available. These can be summoned and fight with you and when they die they can be re-summoned so you don't have to worry about a countdown timer to rez them, but for various reasons they are usually weaker fighters than tamed pets.

edit:Oh and to answer a couple of your other questions the C you see stands for follow close and the D stands for defensive. If you right click on the pet name you can change the pet's settings. And pet food is only for tamed pets. Gear (toys, collars, harnesses) are for tamed pets and elemental summons but won't help your deco pet).

Winfield, Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also now you can go to trainers to open up more for you summoned elementals and you don't even have to have taming. Also if you click on your elemental and click examine then click on show more you can add 3 things a toy, a collar, a harness that looks like a belt icon and these have stats. So this added a lot to interest for the non tamers who use elementals. It was a great addition.

Lesni likes this.
  4. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Explain please.
    I have the three items but did not know I could get more skills for the elementals?
    Is there a guide about doing this?
    Thanks

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[
    Try examining your water elemental for example. Right click the elemental to see the examine option and ability to add items to them then you can see more also. Hopefully mentioning does not interfere with this ability. I think it is totally interesting. Then down the focus tree you can raise the pet skills in the focus tree.

edited

Lesni and Anpu like this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I think they are referring to the effects you can add to creatures with Pet Gear.

There isn’t to my knowledge, anyway to give you pets any new skills. Those are just inherent to each one.

Lesni likes this.
  7. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

So N D would be "near" and "defensive"? But is close closer than near or near nearer than close?

8. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

distance from closest the furthest is:

close -> near -> far

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Actually... Follow, Follow Close, Follow Near, and Follow Far all have the same "Follow" distance, IE the pet follows at the exact same distance no matter which you pick.
    Don't believe me - try them all and see for yourself....

10. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

just gotta watch the distance you have on them if you are in a populated area. Summoned if they are far away can attract mobs unknowingly and get you into trouble. You might be fighting one thing and turn around and have a whole slew of things coming at you at once. Trust me that aint fun. The pets and summons can attract mobs before you can. And be careful if you put pets/summon on aggro that will make things rough as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.