Help with getting started

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by JDavidC, Sep 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDavidC

JDavidC Avatar

I started playing a few days ago, but I have nobody to play with. :( I also don't have any way of getting a tax-free house as far as I know. The crafting feels far too difficult to get started on, and I need a lot of help here. Is there anyone that can help me out with some beginner guides so I can process stuff I gather more easily and make myself gear and things?

tomcat_de, Sentinel2, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  2. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

3. necronut

necronut Avatar

This community is equal parts passionate and odd. You can ask in Universe chat by hitting enter and typing /u. I'm Volgarr Despleigh in game and I'd be happy to help you, some of the game's streamers are extremely helpful, but... if I'm being truly honest... the most helpful people in this community are the even smaller subset of PvP players.

Just go to The Fall, wait to get killed, make friends, and ask them questions. Those are the people who are undeniably the most skilled and insightful players in the game.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  4. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

necronut likes this.
  5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

greetings and welcome to SotA :) there are many posts on these forums to help you along the way and anything you cant find, just post a message on these forums and you will get the help you need. here are a couple of posts to help you get going:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/community-resources.161448/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/rinaldis-list-of-useful-links.75512/

i'm Tirrag Dragonbane and Goriah Kuulas in game. i love to help out new folks (as do many here) so please friend me in-game and reach out with questions.

necronut likes this.
  6. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

you can upgrade lots using COTOs or purchase one from the COTO store but there are no awarded tax-free houses. you will get a taxed row lot after you completed the introduction quest. if you just have the row lot, taxes arent that big of a deal as you can get the money needed from the Oracle by going to an Oracle and taking the test.

necronut likes this.
  7. JDavidC

JDavidC Avatar

Hmm... Is there a good place to get starter recipes for very cheap or free? I'm wondering if I should focus on selling resources I gather for money to buy recipes and gear from other players. Only problem is I won't know what a good price for resources are, or which player towns to sell them at.

I'm finding it hard to get started with crafting, especially cooking.

8. necronut

necronut Avatar

Nearby the starting area, to the north, there's a town in the desert, I can't recall the name, but there's a young lady in there named Pip you can sell any equipment you pick up from all those humanoids you slay, and that'll buy you recipes.

Now, for those recipes, players can give you re-teachable recipes. You can find carpentry recipes at a carpenters shop, blacksmithing recipes at a blacksmith's shop, etc., etc. some of the recipes are also discoverable, wherein you use logic like "well such-and-such recipe required such-and-such ingredients, I wonder if I can use that logic and apply it to these ingredients," then you try it... and voila! it works.

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Actually, sell the junk weapons and armor you find from killing humanoid creatures to the Blacksmith in Castle Atos. They buy all looted armor and weapons at full price.

Pip does not buy all looted armor and weapons at full price. Just fyi.

10. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings JDavidC
    Here are a couple of things that I did starting out.
    1 kill anything at you level or slightly higher to collect armor and weapons and save it. This helps you gain experience for your adventuring pool. The more you have the quicker you level.
    2 Gather everything by harvesting, skinning, fishing, and prospecting while you are out adventuring and save it. This gives you Experience for your crafting pool and resources for crafting.
    3 all the starter recipes are discoverable. Check the crafting forums or just throw stuff on the bench until it says undiscovered recipe. This is where all the gathering stuff you saved comes in.
    4 All the lot you save you can salvage now. You get crafting exp each time you salvage something which you can use to learn new skills plus you get some low level resources from the salvage.
    5 Ask everyone if there is any recipes they could trade you. A lot of recipes can be traded between players. Each new recipe you get craft that item because you get extra exp when you craft something for the first time.

Add me to your friends list and if you see that I am in game message me and I will come give you recipes. Name in game and on forums is Warrior B'Patrick or pm me a day and time and I will try to meet up.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @JDavidC to the game. This is a really helpful community once you connect with a few players. Lots of good advice given here. I'd like to add myself for ingame assistance any time. If I'm not online go to a bank and send me a mail message anytime. I check my mail almost daily. I'm Majoria in game. I'm also happy to share recipes. Don't forget to go to the Oracle building daily. Just click on the word test to say yes or no for daily gold and xp. I have an instuction book I can send you in game. Just friend Majoria and let me know your in game name. Happy journeys to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.