Elves, you want it!

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Tahru, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Read the book! You will want to start trolling Hickman to get off his but and write another one!

Logain and Tahru like this.
  2. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Richard Gariott was very explicit in his vision about ONE character (has been retconned) and I have forgotten exactly how the race issue was couched (I do recall it was rejected but I am not sure Richard Garriott ; however, there was every reason to believe that your one character would be human based on Richard Garriott's expressed lore for SotA and the fact that Richard Garriott sold us a spiritual successor to Ultima. I don't think Tracy Hickman had anything to do with this game feature. Sure, elves in the bestiary but I don't think Tracy had much to do with elves as a playable race. If he had, I think we would see less Tolkien elves as a playable race. I think there were loud voices for elves and Portalarium considered the matter and made a business decision that elves should be a playable race. I have no objections to a business making a business decision. I have objections to being able to choose elf as a playable race in SotA's character creation given published lore and all of the discussions leading up to the announcement that elves could be a playable race.

3. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

So close to the goal! Thank you thank you thank you! Looking forward to seeing elves and all the other races.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Elves are a good race to have. Like humans they can have the same physical avatar features for the most part while still having a variety of skin colors, hair colors, and maybe thick eyebrows, and thinner Spock eyebrows as possibilities. It would still be nice to adjust the size of their ears.

Would half elves be a possibility? Human racial abilities with some elven appearances.

Either way elves seem to always have more variety as opposed to dwarfs where the men and the women always have beards unless they are cuckoo in the head. So I can see why they would go elf first.

Tahru likes this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Lore hasn't been ret-conned for a feature.

Richard said the reason he wanted a single character slot is that he wanted their to be real meaning and weight to decisions you make in game. People clamored that they might want multiple playthroughs of the campaign to see how different choices affected the story.

The decision to allow multiple character slots at higher levels was caving to what paying customers wanted to increase revenue. But that doesn't magically ret-con lore in any way.

Isaiah [MGT] and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am all for the one character slot approach. Even though I have the pledge right to have a second character, I don't think I would use it. It is far more engaging to play the hills and valleys of game life without giving up and creating a new character.

In the past I used alts to get peace from guild drama or the like. So I hope there is a way to do that with one character. AND BTW I would love that character to be.... ***scratches chin, rolls eyes toward the sky as if you don't know the answer*** ... an Elf.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Agreed. Like enderandrew said there should be real meaning and weight to our decisions, but more than that I really want to have my presence in this world to be felt as one person. Regardless I will make a separate character on a separate account that has a whole different path. One reason for this is that I'm retired now and I have extra time for stuff like that. We haven't seen the crafting levels yet there may infact be a good need to have those second or third characters.

They were saying that you can open up a second or third character slot using in game gold (like paying rent on the guy). So if people are going to do that it seems reasonable that this rent is to make up for the resources gathered or items crafted by a second or third character, that would otherwise act as additional skill slots on your main character. Although one thing they did say is that the reputation will carry over to your other characters... I'm wondering if it is a morphing type thing... where the other two characters are actually you too and you can switch incarnations... I know that sounds weird but I'm just throwing that out there because I don't know.

Ariella and Tahru like this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Also worth a mention that the additional slots do not give the option to be a saint on one and an evil bastich on another since they share virtue :D

enderandrew and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'd use my second character mainly as a role-playing character, not for the actual gameplay.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It is kind of weird that reputation would carry over of all things.

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

"You bring your family name into ill repute sir! "

Logain, Isaiah [MGT] and Tahru like this.
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

So the alts would all be forced to use the family name? That would be an interesting requirement.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Not really. Some cultures have a family based honor system. If one person is honored the whole family is honored. If a member is dishonored the whole family is dishonored. Maybe this is cultural in Novia/New Britannia?

The additional characters will share the same last name as the original character. So I'm still glad I have more than one account. ;)

Logain and Tahru like this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It already is listed, alts share last name. I kind of like that :D

Tahru likes this.
  15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I had no idea what "sexy elf" would bring up on Google, but THANK YOU for my new fetish. Because I really needed yet another fetish.

Prominent, supple, silky, pointy ............. what. EARS.

Perverts.

Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  16. Archibald Leatherneck

Which one of "me" came through the portal? They aren't all me or are they? Richard was very explicit on this on multiple occasions. I remember because this was/is a dilemma in the RP community about whether we were/are sticking to the lore or "importing" UO characters and other favored characters. Some were/are holding the line that Richard's vision was "you" entered the portal on Earth (as opposed to your avatar entering a portal in Britannia). You call it a potato and I call it a retcon.

You say it doesn't matter because it SotA hasn't been released and I say that there was a clear vision from Richard and there has been an about face on several issues... not a "Let's add X, Y, and Z" but "SotA will not have A, B, C, and D and here is why" followed by "A and C will now be in SotA despite why we were adamant that they wouldn't be."

All that aside... most (or all) of my characters will be human and they will lovingly embrace any virtuous elves that they meet.

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Nothing worse than holding a firm position just for the sake of doing it. Adapt and prosper. :)

18. Archibald Leatherneck

Stand for something or fall for anything.

Tahru likes this.
  19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Live long and prosper!
    [​IMG]

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

No! *flings a D20*

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.