Distance/Direction of "Nearby Players" (Keypad 0)

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Celthon, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

When I open the "Nearby Players" window (Keypad 0), how far away from my Avatar will it show other players? For instance in a POT scene will it show every other player currently in the scene/POT or only those within a particular distance?

A few minutes ago while on the Overland map the "Nearby Players" window showed 8-10 other Avatars...but when I spin 360-degrees I do not see anyone within my range of view...so I presume the window shows Avatars well beyond the distance I can actually view them...is there a way (other than whispering them and asking where they are) to determine which direction/distance they are from my Avatar?

One of the others shown in my "Nearby Players" window was a Dev, and first time I'd seen one in-game so my thought was to wander over to where they were at, to wave/say-Hi, etc. but after moving in several different directions I was unable to "see" any of the others listed in that window, and so other than asking them directly, can one figure out where they are from any current game features mechanics?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It's all players currently in your scene. It only hides players if you are in a PVP zone, and reveals on sight/target.

3. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

The nuances need to be considered:
    Stealth
    Camouflage
    Moon spells
    Cover

Active searching
    Perhaps even a tracking skill ...

4. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

While on the Overland Map, Avatars listed in the "Nearby Players" window would also be on the Overland Map, correct? Or is it showing those within nearby scenes? If I am unable to see any of the Avatars listed in "Nearby Players" window while on Overland Map, is it because of distance, as I thought stealth, etc. were not usable while on the Overland map?

5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I haven't used it, but I'd assume it probably shows everyone on the map regardless of where they are in relation to you (assuming that it shows everyone in scene with you).

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

yes
    never
    stealth isn't used on the overland map. The overland map is a scene. you can't see them likely because they are in a different overworld scene than you. server problems

EDIT: Stealth IS now used on the overland map.. good to hide your movements, assuming ppl don't notice the shimmer. :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  7. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Thank you for clarification.

I did not consider that...just assumed that there was ONE Overland map, and any I saw on the list were there also, but too far away too see...so we have "alternate universes", and even though I see them in the "Nearby Players" window, they may be in their own version of the game...:confused:

Going back to my POT...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Fister Magee likes this.
  8. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Have another question re: Nearby Players (keypad 0):
    What do the "Question Marks" indicate? Sometimes as I am moving through an area the number of names I see listed changes and at times I will see question marks at the bottom of the list of names, and the number of question marks changes, so I assume they are indicators for Avatars -- have they ignored me, or are stealthed, or PvP, etc.?

9. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Question marks are pvp flagged players.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Celthon like this.
  10. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Thank you...thought that was the case, but wanted to ask to be sure.

11. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Another question re: "Nearby Players" (Keypad 0)

In Multiplayer mode I entered Aerie, and the "Nearby Players" window indicated one Avatar by name, and two question marks -- which I took to mean there were two Avatars flagged for PvP somewhere in the scene.

I saw the named Avatar, and then a few moments later I saw an Avatar whose name did not appear on that screen...if it were one of the two "Question Marks" (PvP flagged Avatars), should one of the question marks not have changed to that Avatar's name? Also, if it were one of the two question marks, shouldn't the Avatar's overhead name have appeared Red to me, if they were flagged for PvP? It was same color as other Avatars I see in scenes who are not flagged for PvP. And if the one I could see was not one of the two question marks in the "Nearby Players" window, they should have had their name listed like the other Avatar was, correct?

The Avatar who I was looking at was casting spells & skills by him/her-self, and not Stealthed...so since the name did not appear in the "Nearby Players" window, even though I was nearby and looking directly at the individual, does that sound like a bug/glitch I should have reported...or are there other mechanics involved with the Nearby Players window I'm not aware of that would explain what was/wasn't happening?

I was not flagged for PvP, if that makes any difference in my ability to see someone who is flagged for PvP (does it make a difference?).

12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I was in a PvP town yesterday with a guild member. We were not in a party. She was 3 feet away and did not show up on the 0 pad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.