Abstract Companions

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Acrylic 300, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I have an idea about companion slots. Instead of always being visible, they can be put away and then called on when needed. Pets and hirelings would be the obvious choices for these slots, but I would also like to see Creatures and NPCs that have to be acquired by other means.

I don't mind things being abstracted. If I have a pet dragon that shrinks into a statue that can be placed on a table in my house, I'm fine with that. If the statue can be clicked on and viewed in full 3-D with a rotating camera and stat information that's good too. If the statue can be moved into a creature slot in my pack and then clicked on to summon when I need it, that is more convenient than having them always following around.

I think I would enjoy this and have fun trying to collect them, some could be very rare. Others may be uncommon, while others are quite common yet usable.

Some may be good at fighting specific foes while others are good at sneaking through small cracks and triggering locks or any number of useful skills.

I think this could add a little trading card flair to the game.

The amount of slots these companions take up could go great lengths to balance how they are used. If only 5 slots are allowed and a dragon takes up 5 slots it may make more sense to take 5 goblins that only cost 1 per slot. Maybe a rare Goblin King lowers the cost 20% so you get 6 goblins instead of 5.

Each companion could have it's own unique set of rules just like strategy card games.

BillRoy likes this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

One question I have on companions is if everyone gets the same set. I know we won't be seeing Iolo, but for the sake of argument, let's say they have a companion in the story line named Yolo, and Yolo is accompanying me. When I am walking through town, will I see a multitude of Yolo, or when I am in an encounter somewhere, and the server matches me up with someone, will we both have our very own personal Yolo?

That would be distracting, to say the least.

BillRoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.